SCALES Project In-a-Box was created with the hope that teachers and schools would be able to create and participate in a SCALES Project without leaving their classroom. The goal of this curriculum is to provide online tools for teachers that could be used in the classroom to provide education about the judicial branch of government.
The following are outcomes & objectives of the SCALES In-a-Box online tools. Students will be able to:
- Identify the four levels of courts in Tennessee and the role of each branch;
- Explain the difference of each level of the court system in Tennessee;
- Describe the role of the judicial branch;
- Explain the differences between civil and criminal cases;
- Understand how judges make decisions;
- Explain the appeals process; and
- Understand how judges are selected and retained in the Tennessee, and how this relates to judicial independence and accountability.
To access the lessons click on the below links. Feel free to make as many copies as needed. Adobe Acrobat Reader will be needed to view any PDF files. In addition, to view the video files you will need a media player and speakers. Microsoft Media Player is recommended.
The lesson plans and corresponding materials can be accessed through the below links.